Thursday, April 26, 2012

Oatmeal Spice Cookies - Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Refined Sugar Free

My daughter has been asking every day to cook something, so this afternoon I decided to try an oatmeal cookie recipe. I have been looking for gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free recipes that are simple  and delicious. I think I may have finally found one!!

I adapted this recipe from the soft oatmeal raisin cookie recipe posted on Mom's Healthy Eats.

First we gathered all the ingredients:

Dry Ingredients:
1 Cup Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 Cup Bob's Gluten Free Oats
1/2 teaspoon salt (next time I might use 1/4)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup granulated organic coconut palm sugar

Wet Ingredients
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg


Next, combine all the dry ingredients, except for the palm sugar, in a large bowl. Use a whisk or a spoon to mix well. 


Then melt the coconut oil in a small pan over very low heat. I like to melt it about half-way, remove from the heat and then stir until completely melted. This keeps it from getting too hot. Then stir in one large egg and 3/4 cup palm sugar.  I did all this while my daughter happily played with the dry mix and made a wonderful mess on our table.


Next, mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. We made the mistake of starting with the whisk, but the batter was way to thick for a whisk so we switched to the wooden spoon. The only other tricky part was keeping my daughter's hands out of the mix since it now contained raw egg.


When mixed thoroughly it looks a bit like bread dough.


Spoon heaping tablespoons onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake in the oven at 325-350 for 6-10 minutes. I am learning that temperatures and time really vary from oven to oven. I baked these at 350 for 7 minutes and they were a little too crispy on the bottom so next time I will try 325.

At first my daughter was not at all sure about these...


But then she took a big bite and the cookie was gone within minutes!


I liked this recipe because it was simple and didn't have a million ingredients.  Next time I might cut the salt in half and add a little stevia to sweeten them.

Do you have a favorite sugar-free, healthy treat?  If so, please leave me a comment and share your recipes!

1 comment: