Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Day Smoothie (Dairy and Gluten Free)

Happy New Year's!!

I have never been one to get excited about New Year's but this year feels different. I am happy to be starting a new year with a tremendous sense of gratitude and filled with hope for the year to come.

I know everyone has their favorite smoothie recipes and there are hundreds on the Internet but I figured I would share mine as well.  It is dairy and gluten free. I have always struggled to eat lunch and I definitely do not eat enough fruits and vegetables so making a smoothie for lunch seems like a good solution!  This recipe makes enough for me with a small bit leftover for my daughter. (Along with the smoothie, I try to eat some meat or humus and these delicious lentil chips for a more substantial lunch)

Mommy Boler's Dairy and Gluten Free Smoothie

1 cup apple juice
Splash of coconut creamer
1/4-1/2 cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen... I sometimes do half and half)
4-6 frozen peach slices
3-6 fresh strawberries (Optional... I use them if I have them)
1 banana sliced
1-2 cups spinach
1 tablespoon coconut oil



I usually put the juice, creamer and banana in first.  Then the rest of the fruit and the spinach on top.  Typically, I fill the rest of the blender with spinach. Today I measured and it was almost 2 cups worth.

I have an old blender but it seems to do the job well. I start on low and work my way up through the speeds.



I would like to add more protein to the smoothie but gluten free, dairy free protein powders are expensive!! I am thinking about experimenting with pasteurized raw egg whites.  Brenda at www.sugarfreemom.com swears by the raw egg whites and I am working up the courage to try them!

I also plan on trying some make ahead oatmeal smoothies with Monica's recipes at www.theyummylife.com.  My husband loves the smoothies and keeps asking if we can save them for later or if he can take them with him to drink right after his workout. These make ahead smoothies seem like a great option. I will let you know how they turn out!

What is your favorite smoothie recipe? Do you add extra protein?

No comments:

Post a Comment