Sunday, November 4, 2012

Curried Coconut Carrot Sweet Potato Soup



Last week I mentioned I was going to try two new recipes for lunch.  I didn't get around to trying the soup until today... and it was well worth the wait. Can't wait to have it for lunch again tomorrow!!

I was inspired by this delicious and simple ginger carrot soup but I didn't have ginger or a shallot so I had to improvise. I did have a package of frozen sweet potato I wanted to use and so here is what I came up with...

Ingredients
1 bunch carrots (I had about 8-10 medium carrots)
1 bag frozen sweet potato (or maybe 1 large diced sweet potato)
4 teaspoons sesame oil
2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 cup Coconut Creamer (unsweetened)
Salt and pepper to taste

First dice the carrots and sauté in the sesame oil in a large pot. When the carrots begin to soften (about 5-10 minutes) add the frozen sweet potato and sauté for another 5 minutes. 



Once all is warmed through and softened add two cups of broth and the curry powder.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Then add coconut creamer and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.  Finally transfer mixture to a food processor (you may need to do this in several batches) and pulse until you have a rich, thick creamy soup! Serve warm and season with salt and pepper. Mine came out quite thick but I like soup that way. You could always add more broth to make it thinner.

What's your favorite soup to make with a food processor??



1 comment: