Sunday, October 28, 2012

Toddler in the Kitchen!!  (and this week's dinner plan)

My daughter has been spending A LOT of time in the kitchen wanting to "help" mommy.  As soon as I start rummaging around in the kitchen she flashes a big grin, grabs her little blue chair and excitedly rushes into the kitchen.  It is very hard to say no... even if there really isn't anything for her to do. So I have started to get creative about coming up with tasks for her.  They may add a few minutes to the prep time for a meal but these are precious moments we get to spend together and I hope the beginning of a life-time joy of cooking for my daughter.


She loves to watch me chop things.  She takes the rules with kitchen tools very seriously.  Knives are grown up tools and she is very good at keeping her distance from the board.  When I've finished she loves to put the pieces in the pot or if I'm putting them in a hot pan I have her put them in a small bowl and then I transfer them. "Here you go Mommy... I helped!"

She also loves to pour water.  Even though it is easier to put water directly from the tap into the pot I will use a measuring cup and have her pour the water in. The best part is if a little spills. "Whoopsie Daisy Mommy! We need to clean up!"

I've also been trying to do more recipes that she can help with.  Lately one of our favorite things to make are the cookie dough balls from our friend Laura a mommy run fast.  We really like the chocolate coconut ones. This week we will be making halloween treats for her friends at school. I will be sure to post pictures of that!


This is the last week of the October menu planning challenge.  While I have had a hard time finding the motivation on Sunday's to plan (maybe I should plan on another day!) I have appreciated seeing all the other plans and enjoyed pushing myself to try new recipes each week.   This week I am giving myself an additional challenge. I am going to try to make two new recipes for lunches. I have a hard time taking time to eat a good lunch so this week I will try to make this delicious spaghetti squash and jalepeno casserole (with non-dairy substitutes) and with my new food processor I will try this ginger carrot soup! I will try to post updates about these recipes.



Here is this week's dinner plan. 

Tuesday: Left overs
Wednesday: Dinner at a Halloween Party!
Thursday: Pork chops with rolls and green beans
Saturday: Left overs
Sunday: Pork roast

Thank you to Laura and Jill for this great month long challenge! It has introduced me to many new blogs and helped me discover some new delicious recipes!



2 comments:

  1. She is the cutest! I've started doing my menu plan on Fri or Sat and typing it up in advance. Sunday is too hard for me to think straight... my body and my brain all want to crash. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! This week I think I will try Friday or Saturday as well. Thinking of a plan, making a shopping list AND doing the shopping all on one day is a little too much!

      Delete