Thursday, October 4, 2012

Basil and garlic pasta with chicken and a side of broccolini

Lately my two year old has been spending a lot of time with me in kitchen. She likes to pull up her little blue chair and "help" me make dinner.  Sometimes I have to get creative about tasks I give her but she really loves it.  However, this meal requires hot oil in multiple pans so I really prefer her to be out of the kitchen.  Tonight she happily watched a 30 minutes TV show while I cooked dinner!

This meal can be a little bit of a juggling act, but it really can all be prepared and cooked in thirty minutes.

Here is what you need:

Chicken breast (I buy one boneless breast at the meat counter and ask them to dice it for me)
Pasta of your choice
3-5 gloves of garlic
Bunch of basil
Olive oil
Bunch of broccolini (just discovered this in the store... and prepared it using Rachel Ray's recipe)
Garlic salt and pepper
Optional: Other seasoning for your chicken such as cumin and other add ins such as zucchini, tomatoes etc.

First put the pot on for the pasta and place 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet on med-high.

Place the chicken in the large frying pan and season with garlic salt, pepper and anything else you would like! (this week I added cumin which was delicious) Cook about 5-7 minutes.  I like to have small pieces of chicken so I often use a metal spatula to cut the pieces after they have been in the pan for a few minutes. I will do anything to avoid cutting raw chicken on a cutting board!



While the chicken cooks quickly wash the broccolini and cut just the ends off. The stalks should be between 3-5 inches long. Place in a small/medium frying pan, cover with water, bring to a boil, cover with a lid and let simmer for 6-8 minutes until it is bright green and tender.


When the chicken is cooked all the way through remove from the pan (leaving the oil in the pan) and set aside.  Turn the heat way down under the oil and let it cool while you mince the garlic. It usually works best to mince it finely with a knife, but if you are in a hurry (like I was tonight... the TV show wasn't keeping my daughter's attention!) you can use a garlic press.

When the oil has cooled down put 3/4 of the minced garlic in the large pan. (The rest of the garlic is for the broccolini.) Rinse basil and cut the leaves into small pieces.  Add to the large pan and simmer with the garlic for a few minutes.

When the broccolini is bright green and tender drain and set aside. In the same small pan add a small amount of olive oil and return to med-low heat. When the oil is warm add the rest of the garlic. Let the garlic simmer until it begins to brown and then return the broccolini to the pan. Turn the broccolini over and over to coat with the oil/garlic mix and then let cook for a few more minutes. When it is tender and covered with yummy garlic and olive oil it is finished!

Hopefully the pasta is done cooking by now. Drain and place in a large bowl.  Mix in the chicken and olive oil/garlic/basil mixture.



Its a juggling act but my family does enjoy this delicious meal.  My daughter also likes having the leftovers in her lunch.

What's your favorite quick pasta dinner?




No comments:

Post a Comment